Tough Conversations about Life

 


Anchor Scripture:

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matthew 6:19-21)

A few months ago, as I scrolled through my Google photos, I saw beautiful and loving memories. In some pictures, I stood with my mom in the kitchen, smiling, while in others, I snapped right on the balcony, just enjoying the day. At those moments, I was trying to make that house our home, though a small building, but to me at that time, it was my forever home. But that was years ago.

Today, my mom and I live in a completely different area and in an absolutely different house. The fun part about this is someone else is currently living in what used to be my mom and my freshly painted, newly floored, and cleaned house.

Hmm, here is the lesson that I picked from this: "Nothing in this life is permanent; they are all temporary and fleeting." We live in a house for a while, maybe even for a long time, but eventually, we leave.

Have you not noticed? Things in this life constantly fall apart; we buy new pairs of shoes, sneakers, and clothes, and in just a few weeks, months, or even years, they are already wearing out. At this point, you either think of giving them out to the needy or disposing of them. Just like that? What about the enthusiasm we had when we initially wanted to buy them fresh and squeaky clean?

But here is the baffling part: even though we are already aware that things in this life are temporary, these are the things we chase until we close our eyes at night, these are the things we chase until we get old.

Why? Why is that?

We make sure we get the right pair of jeans. We make sure we purchase the right set of clothes that fit us. We make sure we get the best grades. We make sure to be the most successful in our family. We strive to be the wealthiest and most influential. But eventually, after each academic, physical, and material thing has served its purpose, they disappear and wear out.

It's here today, and tomorrow it is gone.

You see, that is not even the most dangerous part; Jesus points out to us:

"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

If our heart treasures the stuff and things of this world; if our dear heart treasures and cares about this temporary materialistic stuff - which definitely can make one's life comfortable and enjoyable - then we will go the way of our treasures.

AWAY; WORN OUT; TOSSED OUT FROM GOD.

May we never end up like that; may we return back home with joy full on the face of our dear Father. May the Lord never cast us away.

And fam, that is why we are having this devotion.

Let your treasure be Jesus; that IB exam; that Course exam; that WAEC exam, that NECO exam, that SAT exam we are dying for; after we get the certificate, it might be useless to you.

God might decide to use other means to lift you up. So, do not make that exam a do-or-die, you do not need to cheat to pass (I can testify to this) neither do you need to sell yourself to get grade points.

These things come cheaply to us if we work hard and act following God's principles and promises.

Let your gold and silver be JESUS.

Why?

Because when you have Jesus, you have everything; you may have had gold before, but Jesus is the GOLD MINE himself. He isn't ever going to go away.

He is the Almighty God, the Beginning and End, the Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omnipresent. He cannot fade away or wear out; he will remain for us and with us till eternity.

That's what we call real TREASURE.

What decision are you making today?

Prayer: Jehovah, my Father, the Beginning and the End, I say thank you for this revelation, and I pray to you, Lord, to give me the grace not to store up my treasure where moths and termites can bite through. Give me, Lord, the grace to fix my gaze on you and know that you are the real treasure.

Did you enjoy this session? Then, check out more devotions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biography of Minister Dunsin Oyekan

Rejection

Biography of Apostle Joshua Selman